Sunday, November 25, 2012

All for the lack of a MAN.

My dear future adopted twins/or IVF babies I am quite sick this certain day today so I started thinking about how life was going to shape up ten years from today. The first thing I thought about was a job . I realized that really did not make me very happy, so I thought about important things like if Masterchef would still be on and if Leonardo di Caprio would have finally won an Oscar. Then I thought a little bit about my parents and that is how I came to think about my children. Now , when you are old enough to read this , you will not get offended by the fact that you come after the DiCaprios of the world, but realize that your mother is a woman with many interest and you are not one of them . I will raise you to be secure enough to not judge my love and my 22 year old self. I want you to know today that even though the idea of matrimony or any committed relationship seriously repulses me , I have very much always wanted to have kids. In fact I would love it if you were two little boys , for I would love to be one of those women who bring up men right. I will need a lot of help to not let my brand of cynicism and disbelief infect you , but trust you me, two very healthy and crazy little boys you will be. If you are girls , then boy I am going to be in trouble. I have not been able to raise myself right , how am I ever going to be good with you ? So have penises ok ? Or else , be the kind of girls who think I am COOL and not dysfunctional. The most important purpose of this letter is to tell you why you shall never know a father. Loving my own father a great deal , I can understand why a child would want to know and have a loving father. Unfortunately , you will have grandparents , uncles and seriously a lot of aunts (I believe in girl-friends) but sadly a father I cannot provide. I am going to try and explain to you why you will be deprived of one. When I was in school , I made the mistake of reading and romanticizing classics. Now where do I find a Mr Darcy to take down a few notches ? A Rhett Butler to emasculate before he rapes me ? Oh the Heathcliffs and Tridibs !!! The men in literature have really let me down. I cannot find a suitable man who interests me enough to take on the project of busting him down to scratch and reinventing him. Also , the women who seem to locate these illusive men even in books have been a let down. They either have 16 inch waists (which lets face it, anyone who likes dessert cannot !) or because of their historical position , run out of options to do anything else. So I decided that literature must do it for me. I believe in stories . Sadly , it is a dying art you know story telling. I haven't heard a good one in a very long time. But don't you worry, I have a few to tell and share and I am sure by the time you are old enough to want them, I would have collected a few more. Let me tell you , stories are very important. Never be with anyone who doesn't leave you behind with a good enough story. I got stuck with the Peter Pans and the Victorians - wanting my stories and novels.Sensual pleasure is all very good , but it has to spectacularly bizarre to create a story that lasts. Now I don't hate men. I love men , in books , in movies, in the lives of others . And you know I haven't been soiled for love by any man either. I was always lucky enough to meet really nice men , who were particularly nice to me. I think I scare men a little. I have been known to laugh myself silly on others' accounts. It is just , I could never love men the way they want to be loved. And I know I never can , for that is something which does not create a story. A fulfilled love story makes for fairy tales, and I seem to have grown out of perfect resolutions. So half -assed attempts and perfect could- have- beens I cherish. I read Simone de Beauvoir twice you know , for a class. I just got stuck there then. I could never put myself through institutions which so demean women and so typify them. I have to have made some change , if only in my life. So there , that is why all you will ever have will be me. I will just have to do. And then maybe , you can be such amazing men that a girl like me will want to throw away her ideology for you so nullify her theoretical propositions. That would be worth bringing children into the world. We will have dogs , and books and music and movies . And we will have all the normality around us - but in our difference, I guess we might make a better normal. Lots of love and even more promises Devika. P.S. It is the lack of true heroes and freaks which has made so many of us so despondent. So be a man and pick your poison.

3 Comments:

Sapna said...

this is your best post for me. i love it.

Sanjukta said...

Hussshh don't say that again! I still need to believe that men like the ones in literature exist..THEY HAVE TO! We just need a patience and we'll find them haha (: and I reaaly, reaaaaally hope this post is going to be around your future adopted twins to read!

P.S: Can my adopted kid be friends with yours, please? I know they will get along well =P

PHOTOGENIC DEVIL said...

@sapna : <3
@ Sanjukta : Go ahead and believe , I have vowed to protect your innocence !

Your kid and my kid should definitely be friends. They will be two very cool kids and we could learn a lot from them about how cool we were in raising them right :))